The City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services Department has completed delivery of more than 32,000 new recycling carts, marking the conclusion of the fourth and final phase of the department’s efforts to replace green recycling bins with blue roll-out carts. The roll-out carts have more than five times as much capacity as the bins. As such, the carts are serviced every other week instead of weekly.
Customers who received their carts this year should begin using them after Labor Day, according to the printed calendar attached to their cart.
Any recycling customer of the City of Raleigh who did not receive a recycling cart delivered to their home this summer as expected should call the Solid Waste Services Department at 919-996-6890.
As customers begin to use the new recycling carts, the Solid Waste Services Department provides the following important reminders:
• Some customers’ collection schedules will change in September so it is important for everyone to refer to their schedule to determine their correct collection day. Garbage, recycling, and yard waste are all collected on the same day of the week. Garbage and yard waste will continue to be collected weekly, while recycling will be collected biweekly beginning in September. Customers can confirm their correct schedule by using the “Find My Service” tool on the City’s website at http://www.raleighnc.gov/services/content/ITechWebServices/Articles/FindMyService.html;
• This year, customers may choose to recycle their green recycling bin by placing it inside their blue cart. However, customers are strongly encouraged to keep their green bin for their own purposes;
• The City of Raleigh accepts many materials for recycling. Printed on the lid of the new recycling carts is an easy reference guide to determine what types of materials are accepted for recycling. If a material is not listed, it is best to throw it away than to hope it is accepted for recycling. Remember, “when in doubt, throw it out!”;
• Always handle your blue recycling cart just as you would handle your garbage cart. Customers are responsible for placing the cart(s) at the curb by 7 a.m. on collection day as well as retrieving the cart(s) from the curb no later than 7 p.m. on the day after collection. Carts should be stored in an area that is not easily seen from the street when facing the front door of your home;
• When placing your garbage or recycling cart at the curb for collection, each cart must be at least five feet away from a mailbox, a parked car, a tree, or another cart; and
• Place carts so that the cart handle faces your house and the front of the cart where the lid opens faces the street (see arrows on the lid). This will ensure the lid opens properly and is not damaged when emptied.
Additional information about the blue recycling carts is available on the City of Raleigh’s website at http://www.raleighnc.gov/services/content/SolidWaste/Articles/RecycleCarts.html. Customers may also call the City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services Department at 919-996-6890.